Pediatric Hand and Upper Extremity
The Pediatric Hand and Upper Extremity team at Monroe Carell brings together experts from Neurosurgery, Orthopaedics, Plastic Surgery, Trauma, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and Occupational Therapy to provide the best treatment for your child. Our multidisciplinary team treats from the neck down to the fingertips and everything in between, including the arm and shoulder. We offer diagnosis, therapy, surgical treatment and comprehensive patient-centered care for infants, children and adolescents. We treat congenital hand and upper extremity differences and acquired hand conditions from trauma, tumors, infection and athletic injuries.
Meet Your Care Team
- Developmental Delay, Difficulty Walking, Neuromuscular Disorders, Neurosciences, Pediatric Neurology, Weakness / Hypotonia
- Brachial Plexus and Peripheral Nerve Injury, Compression or Tumors, Congenital Malformations of the Brain and Spinal Cord, Neurological Surgery, Neurosciences, Pediatric Neurologic Surgery, Pediatric Neurosurgery, Stroke and Cerebrovascular
- Adult Orthopaedics, Elbow Surgery, Fractures, Hand Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Hand Surgery
- Adolescent Medicine, Adolescent Sports Medicine, Adolescent and Young Adult Health, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Orthopaedics, Sports Medicine
- Adolescent Sports Medicine, Adolescent and Young Adult Health, Fractures, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Orthopaedics, Sports Medicine
- Fractures, Limb Deformity, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Orthopaedics, Spinal Deformity, Spinal Surgery
- Fractures, Hand Surgery, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Plastic Surgery, Peripheral Nerve, Plastic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Fractures, Hand Surgery, Orthopaedics, Pediatric Plastic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Fractures, Hand Surgery, Nerve, Orthopaedics, Peripheral Nerve, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Reconstructive Microsurgery
Why Choose Hand and Upper Extremity Care at Monroe Carell
- Nationally ranked care
Our specialists and programs are nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report as a Top Children’s Hospital. This means your child’s care team is ranked amongst the best in the nation in their specialty of Neurosurgery, Orthopaedic Surgery and Plastic Surgery.
- Team approach
We use a team approach to care, working closely with our colleagues throughout Monroe Carell and The Fetal Center at Vanderbilt to provide comprehensive and evidence-based care. Your child and family have access to a wealth of specialists in Neurosurgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Rehabilitation and Obstetrics. We work together to offer the best care according to your child’s specific needs.
- Full range of services
Whether your child’s condition is congenital, neuromuscular, sports-related, soft tissue and microvascular, traumatic or tumor-related, we have the expertise to care for them.
- Safer X-ray imaging
We offer some patients the EOS X-ray imaging system. It uses ultra-low radiation doses (up to 50 times lower depending on the scan type) to capture 2D and 3D images. Children who need frequent scans for their conditions are exposed to far less radiation over their lifetimes.
- Full-service outpatient clinic
For children with injuries, we have a full-service outpatient clinic providing X-rays, casting services, referrals and consultations for physical and occupational therapy.
- Trusted by athletes
We are the official health care provider for the Nashville Predators, Nashville Sounds, Nashville Soccer Club and the Vanderbilt University Commodores. You can expect the same level of care we provide these top athletes.
Tests, Treatments and Services
- Monitoring, casting and bracing
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- School activity guidelines during and after treatment